nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: "Henry R. Linneweh" <linneweh () concentric net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:12:24 -0800

I see them listing specific addresses from a netblock that is hacked either
through
their dns server for that particular hosted domain and or their email is an open
relay, to say that it is limited to the entire netblock does not appear to be a
statement of fact based on my use of the toolset to track spammers.

"Derek J. Balling" wrote:

At 12:18 PM -0500 1/13/00, Harald Koch wrote:
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, "Sehmel, William C."
had to walk into mine and say:

 > Got this from bugtraq.

Alot of us did. I thought about posting it to nanog, but then I actually
researched the issue a bit, and discovered that securityfocus' listerver is
*not* in the ORBS database at this time.

Sounds like FUD to me.

As an ORBS user and a BugTraq subscriber, let me tell you it IS in
the database, but you can't find it "individually", because its in a
"netblock" entry...

narn:~ # host 207.126.127.68
68.127.126.207.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer lists.securityfocus.com
narn:~ # host 68.127.126.207.relays.orbs.org
68.127.126.207.relays.orbs.org has address 127.0.0.4

So let me just reiterate that it ISN'T FUD, they really are listing
all of above.net, and I really did stop receiving BugTraq because of
it. :)

--
Thank you;