nanog mailing list archives

Re: Independent rating service of colocation facilities

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 6 Jan 2000 15:20:16 -0800

On Thu, 06 January 2000, Dave Crocker wrote:
So the alternative is much more effort and much more difficult, but
absolutely essential:  The customer must have their own, independent access
to high-quality technical and operations expertise and the due diligence
must be detailed and in-person (such as the noted visual inspection of the
generatorS.)

I would agree, except the most important parts in a colocation facility can't
be checked with a quick visual inspection.  If you see problems during your
walkthrough, they are most likely serious problems.  But a lot of stuff will
be undetected just by the nature of facilities.

Do you take air samples, collect a month of environmental data, plug in
a power quality analyzer, take concrete samples?  I've been in very
chic data centers with very serious problems under the surface (or in
the roof :-).

A top quality audit of a data center is very time and money consuming. Doing
one for every potential customer is a waste of a lot of money.  Yes, I know,
what company would risk its business without doing its own audit? But not
every company has the expertise to know what is good, bad, and just a frill.

ps.  The other burden this places on the customer is carefully and
reasonably formulating their REAL requirement.  Demanding the best of
everything is entirely inappropriate for most businesses.  You won't be
able to afford it and you don't need it.

True, and one of the biggest problems I see with any ranking of the "best."

You end up with things like the Forrester report which says Qwest is the
"best" and Exodus will dissappear soon.

I was thinking of more a Board of Health rating instead of a ranking.
McDonalds and a five-star resturant both receive a Grade A.  But there is
still plenty of room for puffery and service competition.  And perhaps
breaking it up into classes, carrier-grade, data-grade, financial-grade, etc.