nanog mailing list archives

Re: Retracing Sender's SMTP IP Address using MS Exchange 5.5

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:53:01 -0500

This is off-topic for the NANOG list.

I tend to be pretty good at reading mail headers, so
if you'd like to follow up by sending the headers to
me to take a look at, I can.

Alternatively, you might try SPAM-L. Subscribe,
and post your question with a prefix of "HELP:"  e.g.

Subject: HELP: Please help me track the origin of this message

http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/ has the FAQ,
with lots of good info including how to subscribe.

Toplez Razer wrote:

Dear Folks,
We receive an e-mail that we want to reply back, but the sender's SMTP is NOT
registered in DNS.  Let's say the sender is who () xyz com.

Let's assume xyz.com is being resolve with its ISP DNS 150.150.150.1.  But
there is no MX for xyz.com in this DNS.

Our e-mail is MS Exchange 5.5.  Can we trace the sender's SMTP IP address?
Is there better way than to peel off the original header packet to see the
sender IP?

Thanks,
Audie Onibala

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor