nanog mailing list archives

Re: government eavesdropping

From: Chris Cappuccio <chris () dqc org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:57:15 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Brian Wallingford wrote:

 | Specifically, what have Merit, and presumably yourself done that any
 | reasonably clued ISP hasn't?  Aside from responsible subneting, and
 | standard non-intrusive filtering, what can be done?  It seems to me that
 | beyond that, the burden of safeguarding data falls on the end-user.

Obviously, you have never visited any of the less clueful ISPs ;)

Some ISPs that started with 10Mbps hubs have moved up to 100Mbps hubs.  For
their servers, and co-location customers.

Some ISPs vlan each customer.  Many do something in between both
extremes.  (Not that giving each customer a separate vlan is by any means
extreme!!!)

(Not to waste your reading time too much, but this was a topic of concern for
me.  Currently I use a combination of 8 port OpenBSD router plus vlans on
OpenBSD to handle all ethernet connectivity in my building!)

---
Reverend Chris Cappuccio
http://www.dqc.org/~chris/