nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco says attacks are due to operational practices

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:57:46 -0500

On Thu, 10 February 2000, Paul Ferguson wrote:
Excuse me, but can you please tell me what "application" a downstream
customer might be running which originates packets for traffic with
source addresses which they are not advertising (or you are advertising
for them)?

The usual example given is Hughes DirectPC, which sends packets with
a source address of the satellite link via a dialup ISP connection.

Um.

I know the basics of the DirecPC service, and not much else about it. From
what I understand, traffic from the customer's PC does not touch
the satellite at all, it goes through the modem, so I assume you're talking
about traffic to the PC here? Can you elaborate, please?

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor