nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo! Lessons Learned

From: Kai Schlichting <kai () pac-rim net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:57:27 -0500

At Tuesday 11:01 PM 2/8/00 , Daniel Senie wrote:

Please refer to RFC2644/BCP34 on the subject of directed broadcasts.
This RFC recommends router vendors disable directed broadcasts by
default. It also recommends ISPs disable directed broadcast on ALL
routers. In light of the recent events, it would be good to see a
concerted effort made by everyone to ensure this has been done.

I recall that SprintLink had some, uhm, plans to put ingress (and
egress?) filters on all interfaces facing dedicated customers that
were not multi-homed. This came after realization that education of
the end-user was a fruitless and herculian task: Network smarts
are virtually non-existent in IT departments, and even loads of
smaller ISPs everywhere. Whatever became of this project ?

At what traffic level (across the entire box) do Cisco 7{0;2;5}00
routers with RSP{2;4} cards fall over and die because of CPU load?

Of course as Paul has mentioned, we wrote RFC 2267 several years ago to
address this very issue. I strongly encourage folks to take a hard look
at ingress filtering. Hardware vendors have implemented features in
dialup servers and routers which can help.

Without wanting to bash my favorite NAS vendor: I have asked for
'ip verify unicast reverse path' in their boxes as much as
2+ years ago. They recently admitted to having no record of this
request, and it has just now become a request for engineering.
Vendors do not have their focus on security, just like most
everyone else in the Internet "industry". Skating on thin ice
has a price...

While implementing these measures may not directly benefit your network,
doing so may thwart an attack against someone else's net. Tomorrow, the
roles could be reversed. As with many areas of managing the Internet,
cooperation is key.

Like the kind of cooperation that is making people close their open SMTP
relays voluntarily because closed relays are A Good Thing <tm> or
are a BCP? That always and only worked with threats of loss of connectivity
or humiliation through public exposure. Some networks have taken it upon
themselves to shield their customers from such well-deserved scrutiny
from the outside (Hi Dave!).

Nothing will change until Yahoo decides that the legitimate operators of
the Trinoo/Tribe/whatever slaves have acted with reckless neglect by not
keeping their system secured with vendor-issued patches.
But when they do, duck and cover for the wave of lawyers hitting like an
Ion-storm.

bye,Kai