nanog mailing list archives

RE: Port scanning legal

From: John Fraizer <nanog () EnterZone Net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:59:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Jeff Wheat wrote:

Isn't that just sweet... So in a nutshell it is *not* illegal
for kiddies to port scan a network looking for vulnerabilities.
It would seem to me that such scans would impair the integrity
of ones networks, or am I just smoking crack?

Jeff
CETLink.Net

The attorney for the plaintiff obviously didn't use the correct analogy
when explaining this to the court.

Had he likened portscanning someones network to walking into their back
yard with a ladder, climbing up to the second floor and checking for open
windows, perhaps the court would have found differently.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc

Port-scanners and window-checkers will be shot on site.