nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet performance measures compared to other industires

From: "Bora Akyol" <akyol () akyol org>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:05:46 -0800

Then there is the issue of having successful connectivity but miserable
throughput. The throughput is what we need stats on.

A website that I visit often hangs off a GigE switch on the hosting center.
Traceroute shows 761 ms through the last hop which is the GigE switch. But
pings succeed most of the time.

Most SLAs that I have seen so far check for connectivity from usually a NOC
to the customer, there is no mention of throughput anywhere.

Bora