nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP operational question

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:02:12 -0500

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 08:59:11AM -0800, Brian W. wrote:

Now here is the question. What choices does the regional ISP have when
implementing routing and IP addressing? I assume the regional ISP will not
implement BGP, since there will only be one maybe two upstream connections
to a single NSP - initially.
You will have a marketing problem with this.  Customers would like to see
you connected to more than 1 nsp.  Also, you sooner or later will get a
customer that wants to multihome to you and another company.  So, you'll
really need to think about getting an as and running bgp I believe.

You're assuming a lot about his region.

Plug any rural Oklahoma county in there, and his model is what's done.