nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OT] Valley of the Boyz

From: "Jeffrey C. Ollie" <jeff () ollie clive ia us>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:33:16 -0500

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 10:26:33AM -0400, Sheryl Chapin wrote:

Ummm, I think you guys are missing the point.  The point is that guys live,
breath and eat this stuff, but to most women, it's just a job.

[...]

Personally, I always thought it was just me, but maybe it is a gender
thing.  Is that bad?  I really don't know.

I think that you are trying to generalize from a rather limited
experience with computer professionals. Take me, for instance.  In
some ways I'm very much like the people that you describe. I enjoy
spending hours and hours tinkering with the computers and networks at
work and home. I've even had dreams about my networks.

Yet I enjoy talking with my co-workers about a variety of non-computer
subjects like politics, movies, TV, music, home repair, kids, family,
etc. But then I don't live in Silicon Valley or New York (I live in
the Midwest) and I don't work for a .com or other high-tech firm (I
work for a community college).

So we are out there...

Jeff