nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: "J. Scott Marcus" <smarcus () genuity com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:32:50 -0400

At 11:44 08/31/2000 -0600, Alec H. Peterson wrote:

jlewis () lewis org wrote:

So who actually goes to these things, and was the new policy a later
result of discussions at the meeting, or was there actually some sort of
vote at the meeting?

There was a count-of-hands vote at either the member or public policy
meeeting (I don't remember which one offhand, as it was a while ago).  The
issue had been discussed by the AC extensively, and we generally decided
that we needed to bring the issue to the members before we could decide what
the issue was.  Interestingly enough the membership was more gung-ho on the
idea than the AC was...

If memory serves, this show of hands took place in the ARIN Public Policy
meeting, *NOT* in the member meeting.  ARIN Public Policy meetings are
intended to be open to the broader community -- they are not members-only
affairs.  See the announcement for the forthcoming ARIN VI meeting at
http://www.arin.net/announcements/memmeet.html:

Public Policy Meeting
The first two days will consist of the PPM, an open forum for discussing
issues
and addressing the needs of the IP community. All parties are invited to
attend
this meeting. At last April's event, many policy and related technical
issues
were endorsed.

Cheers,
- Scott (speaking for himself only)