nanog mailing list archives

RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting (fwd)

From: Karyn Ulriksen <kulriksen () publichost com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:59:28 -0700

There is only a small number of services that currently
really require
dedicated IPs.  HTTPS and Anonymous FTP.  Although, the
HTTPS is a concern -
not that many customers actually use the Anonymous FTP
service.  We ended up
offering Anonymous FTP as a premium service (I like to think
that this cuts
down on warez and script kiddie distribution).

Aha, I was waiting for someone to say that.

So it's going to be OK to use per-host IP addresses if it's sold as a
"premium" service?  So that business model is OK, but not
another?  What if
we say all of our services are "premium"?  What if too many of your
customers start paying you for that "premium" service?  Where's the
threshold?  Are you more justified in your IP usage because
you charge your
customers more for it?

No, but I've done due diligence to minimize the requirement and have created
an environment that is directed towards minimization.  As far as the concern
regarding using a "premium", last I checked this is a commercial venture.

By what justification does this poorly-thought-out policy
interfere with
business models or competitive advantages between hosts?

Could you clarify what you are asking here?

A few customers will whine, but 98% don't know
the difference, understand and accept the limititations, or
are just so damn
happy it works that they don't mind.

Great for your customers, then.

They butter my bread.  Gotta keep them happy.

Although I do agree that ARIN does tend to be anal, I
believe some system
architects would have shot us all in the foot by now if they
hadn't put
their foot down.  We just have to be cleverer than them and
I think that
shouldn't be too hard, right?

Are you proposing to circumvent the policy?

Uh... No.  I just accept the challenge of doing more with less.  I'm always
game for problem solving, that's why I do what I do.  That's why they pay me
the big bucks.