nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:43:08 -0400

2000-08-29-21:25:09 Joseph McDonald:
Name-based virtual hosting does not work in many, MANY cases.

And it doesn't work for POP3 at all.

It can. Just give your users POP logins of the form
user () domain name.

If you give your customers their own pop3 server, you will need to
bind to a different IP for each customer. I don't know of any way
around that.

Don't give them each their own pop3 server, just give them distinct
accounts per virtual domain on the same pop3 server.

Same goes for ftp as far as I know.

ftp can't be name-virtual-hosted. It is also such a wretched
protocol that it urgently needs to be retired in all settings for
all purposes.

The only real excuse I'd argue for keeping IP virtual hosts is
https --- but as there's no chance of a secure replacement for HTTP
that works with name virtual hosts getting deployed any time soon,
and as the last legal barrier to universal deployment of https
is falling in just a month, I think ARIN has picked a remarkably
unfortunate time to launch this crusade. If they'd done it a couple
of years ago, maybe it would have helped to nudge some of the folks
who just never bothered to learn how to configure name virtual
hosts into shifting a bit, and possibly this could have helped
provide motivation for designing something better than the current
https, like e.g. a TLS negotiation within http, and maybe we could
be approaching the point where such an improved client might be
widely-enough available. But now there's no helping it, IP virtual
hosts are the primary webserving product for the next bit of a while
anyway.

-Bennett