nanog mailing list archives

Re: flap flap: AS 10916

From: Kai Schlichting <kai () pac-rim net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:22:55 -0400

At Friday 04:59 PM 8/11/00, John Todd wrote:

701
  \
   \____________

               |   link 2
      1239---10916--------6138
     /  \________________/
    /        link 1
13789

JT

Thank you, Todd, this was the scenario I had in mind. Nice to see someone
still excells in the field of ASCII art, too :)
The POC of AS10916 has emailed me back since, and is looking into this
issue.

I was also intrigued by:

 (b) Link that both BGP and traffic pass through is insufficient for continued keepalives once traffic moves in that
direction (line becomes preferred by a large amount of traffic, traffic floods line, BGP keepalives fail, BGP session
fails, traffic moves away, wash, rinse, repeat - see RED discussion archives some months ago for more detailed
discussions on traffic flow dampening with similar patterns.)

What can be done to prevent flapping in this situation, other than putting
QoS mechanisms into place to prefer the BGP traffic over everything else?
Is there a good and automated (Cisco-leaning, sorry) way to keep BGP
sessions down if they have flapped too often?