nanog mailing list archives

Re: ABOVE.NET SECURITY TRUTHS?

From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 02:37:14 -0600

As you pointed out to Barry Greene and myself previously, the "aaa
accounting" command as below will log commands typed in at "enable" level.
So, if you are changing the onboard router password, yes, you will see the
new password in your accounting logs, in clear text.

However, I don't consider it good practice to keep any critical passwords
on a router when an authentication mechanism such as TACACS+ is in place.

Unfornately, auth servers fail and you have to keep VTY and fallback
passwords locally configured on the router.

Also, if I was modifying the onboard enable secret (last resort password
when TACACS+ or Radius is configured) at any stage, I'd tftp-load the
configuration from a remote server, not ever type it in live.

I don't see how this actually changes anything though, aren't tftp'd files
authorized (and therefore, logged) in a similar manner?

And as wonderful as it sounds, it's not always possible in real networks.

However, entering the encrypted *enable* password (w/level) would accommodate
this.  Though, of course, the BGP TCP MD5 stuff and the VTY passwords (and
most other passwords) still don't support the ~non-reversible encryption
algorithm.

As for this entire thread, it's seems now to be more appropriate for cisco-nsp
or the like.

-danny