nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone encountered Cisco ATM PVC large delay bug?

From: "Yu Ning" <yuning () cndata com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:06:52 +0800

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () nac net>
To: Yu Ning <yuning () cndata com>
Cc: nanog-post <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: Anyone encountered Cisco ATM PVC large delay bug?

Are you accounting for ATM overhead? Remember, the sho in bits/sec do NOT
count overhead (another words, they are looking at true bits/sec, not
cells/sec).

You should check cells/sec on the ATM port you are connected to.

Yes. I get the utilization statistic from ATM PVC statistic.

In more detail, our situation is: if we get a high bandwidth PVC,
say 51M(or 80M), and if the bandwidth utilization reaches 80%
percent, the ATM link will encounter a 1500~2000 ms delay - just
point to point ping across the link. We have found this situation
is associated with "sar txpool" setting in Cisco GSR, and a manipulation
of the "sar txpool" together with bandwidth increasing has solved
the problem now.

But I still wonder if any of you ever encounter this situation(bug),
and how did you overcome it? If you are still puzzled by this bug,
I'd like share our temp solution with you.

regards,

Yu Ning

(Mr.) Yu Ning
ChinaNet Backbone Operation