nanog mailing list archives

Re: Direct Phone Number which is regarding for AS297

From: Phillip Vandry <vandry () Mlink NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:45:10 -0400 (EDT)

ISTR +1-888-xxxx being the international equivalent of 1-800-xxxx

Close, but no.  The prefixes for international "caller pays" calls to
US toll free numbers are:

      US              Int'l

(800) xxx-xxxx -> +1 880 xxx xxxx
(888) xxx-xxxx -> +1 881 xxx xxxx
(877) xxx-xxxx -> +1 882 xxx xxxx

Watch out:

http://www.areacode-info.com/history/2004.htm
(top of the page)

I know that's not an "official" source of information, but this page
does claim that they intend to deallocate those area codes soon.

I suspect it is because, as the number of toll free area codes increases
(866, 855, 844, etc..!), it's becoming a burden to have to allocate a
"mirror" code in each case as well.

Anyway, I believe it's possible to have a toll free number that's only
dialable in one area and have the same number allocated to someone else
who has a toll free number only dialable from some other area, as long
as the areas don't overlap. So who would the international caller reach
in that case?

-Phil