nanog mailing list archives

Re: a different view of SNMP

From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:25:28 -0700 (PDT)

        Hello vadim,

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
I sometimes wonder why Wellfleet nee Bay nee Nortel haven't already
taken over most of Cisco's market share for this reason given their
almost total embracement of SNMP for configuration and management.
Well, could it be because Cisco routers _work_?  :-)

Nah, that's because Cisco sometimes listens.  And, yes, lets the
lowly users to talk to their actual engieers.  Or at least used
to.
(Hint - try to find who wrote some particular piece of code in Nortel).
        Yes the trouble is trying to find that individual . (IE
        they nolonger work there :-{) And the next individual most
        familiar with that code area has their own ideas one what
        it should be doing which is at least 90-Degree's to what
        the original coder had in mind .

        That aside I was highly impressed with their use of the MIB's
        as command line setable variables .  But WOW try typing one
        of the longer ones just once & find you mis-typed it .

        They never have gotten a command line editor right :-{  JimL
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System   Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416       22nd So |   Give me Linux |
       | babydr () baby-dragons com | DesMoines  WA 98198 |     only on AXP |