nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI WorldCom fiber cut - Syracuse, NY

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () robotics net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:33:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Derek J. Balling wrote:

I think this is just a factor of human beings. People are more cautious
about hitting gas or electric (hitting a gas or underground electric line
will ruin your day for the rest of your rapidly-shortening life). If you
hit a telephone line with your backhoe... oh, what, you mean there's people
affected by that all over the country?

Yep, that is why you don't see cut's along the old wiltel (now Worldcom)
network. If you see a sign saying "High pressure natural gas" you do not
dig, if you see a sign saying "Fiber cable" you dig carefully.

I must admit, I have done some backhoe work and I dig carefully next to
fiber, but don't get near utilities. :-(

<>
Nathan Stratton                         Tricetel Consulting
http://www.tricetel.net                 nathan () tricetel net
http://www.robotics.net                 nathan () robotics net