nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

From: Alan Hannan <alan () globalcenter net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:41:07 -0700

If I were to put together a native-IP network (probably POS)
which was running high levels of traffic (at least DS-3 to
start and probably OC-3), and put services such as dial-up,
hosting/co-locate, DSL, and high-speed dedicated, and mix in
VoIP, is it feasible to use one IP pipe and logically
segment it with IP QoS/CoS features?

  You just described our network, and what several of our
  customers are doing.

  In other words, Yes.

  Now, it's not for blue haired ladies or non-innovative
  IT directors [translate to low risk tolerance].  But it
  absolutely is done today.

So far, it seems that the way to do this is to physically or
logically segment the network using separate circuits or
ATM. But it would make a lot of sense (in theory at least)
to use IP and bunch everything together.

  Bah.  Keep listening to your ATM vendors...

  -a