nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS entry abuse question

From: "Edward S. Marshall" <emarshal () logic net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:16:02 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Peter Day wrote:
Although we can contact bee.net and the student to address this violation
of our policy, my question is whether there is anything we can do in
general to prevent people from pointing DNS names at computers at Emory
without our permission.

You're absolutely correct.

Can you clearly explain why you care, other that defamation issues (which
I address below)? Is this somehow impacting your ability to operate in
some fashion?

Presumably there is great opportunity for mischief here, in that
someone could register a domain name such as emorysucks.org and point
it at our web site.

That's a defamation issue. It's a social problem, and needs a social
solution. In this case, you contact the people doing it, and if they're
not helpful, you call your lawyer.

Technology can't solve everything.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal () logic net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

    Linux labyrinth 2.2.3-ac2 #2 Thu Mar 18 19:48:40 CST 1999 i586 unknown
       9:10pm up 1 day, 31 min, 4 users, load average: 0.24, 0.08, 0.09