nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fatty Pipes with Y2K problem - OT humor

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:38:42 +0400 (MSD)

Btw, the Y2K annoying which does have place make more troubles than
Y2K problem itself. If you think a little you understand Y2K problem can
cause input/output errors during different requests, billung, accounting
problems, etc etc, but hardly can influence real-time systems. No one
router or server over the world know really about the year - it know
_xxxxxxx seconds since yyyyyyy date_ time, and next second always is
xxxxxx+1_. The problem exists, of course, because a lot of people should
enter _the date of some event_ into this real-time systems (just before
or after Y2K), and bad software can cause a mistaken data
encoding/decoding, but when someone write in the magazine _the chip in
your car can stop the engine just at 00:00:00 1 January_, written by some
paper dirter, it have a little with the reality.

This is just as with the hackers - anty-hackers systems and filters cause
not less problems then the hackers themself.