nanog mailing list archives

Re: Podunk Telco

From: Jon Green <jcgreen () netins net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:32:13 -0500

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:33:17 -0700, dredd () megacity org writes:

He has mentioned to me, "what if I formed an CLEC/ISP and started leasing
dry copper from CitsTel to provide DSL myself?"  at which point he was very
much over my head in ability to answer.

He would need to lease space in the CO for a DSLAM, then stick a router
there with a connection to an ISP somewhere.  Not too difficult if the
telco will cooperate.  However, line quality could be a big issue.
Different types of DSL have different tolerances to things like bridged
taps and loading coils.

No idea on cost, but I doubt what he's talking about will be cheap without
getting lots of subscribers.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *         "Life's a dance             *
   *   jcgreen () netins net       *          you learn as you go"        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *                                       *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" *     http://users.quadrunner.com/jon    *