nanog mailing list archives

Re: latency vs. packet loss

From: jzeeff () whs verio net (Jon Zeeff)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:57:06 -0500 (EST)

True, one can certainly think of and even find many situations where
they don't correlate, but in real world measurements, it looks like in
perhaps 90% of the cases, packet loss between randomly choosen places
on the Internet is accompanied by greater than typical latency.  I suppose
this suggests that saturated links (where the router/switch adds latency by
buffering) are a commmon cause of Internet packet loss (vs line
errors, etc which would not show this correlation).

As a single example, connectivity from here to a popular NSP web site
is 40 msec in the morning with no packet loss and 500 msec with
20% packet loss in the afternoon.  Routing is the same (through mae-east :-)).

How well does latency correlate to packet loss on the Internet?  For
example, if one were to pick one of several randomly placed sites on
the net based on lowest latency to/from point x, what percentage of
this time would this also yield the site with the lowest packet loss
to/from point x?  My guess is that the correlation is high (due to
typical buffer sizes).

Remember latency is also affected by other things, like distance
(you won't get less than 70ms RTT NY<->Lon even on an empty STM-1),

Also note there are some conditions which cause packet loss which
won't cause ICMP latency (line errors, various IXP overload conditions