nanog mailing list archives

AT&T Worldnet problem (Re: AS7170 flaps and resulting non-event)

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 2 Dec 1999 08:36:26 -0800

On Wed, 01 December 1999, John Todd wrote:
   C: Could this be related?
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99121.icatt.htm  I
don't think so, but it's an interesting note nonetheless.  I don't
see how DNS could be attached to the route flaps, but again I don't
have a crystal ball into AT&T's network.

I don't have a crystal ball either, I don't even have a chair.

Here is what AT&T posted on their web page about yesterday's event.

At approximately 8:15 AM [EST] on Wednesday, December 1, AT&T began
experiencing a series of service interruptions on its dial Internet Protocol
[IP] platform. The impact was nationwide in scope and affected AT&T's Worldnet
Service, Business IP Dial Service, and portions of its Virtual Private Network
service.  AT&T 's IP backbone was not affected by this incident, nor were there
any service disruptions to customers using AT&T's dedicated Internet access
service.

Reports indicate that incorrect routing by another Internet Service Provider
[ISP] generated this problem. That routing error has been corrected, the
network has been stabilized, and service has been restored.

We apologize for any inconvenience these interruptions may have caused. As
always, you can report problems with AT&T WorldNet Service by using the Contact
Us link on the left side of this page.

Thank you for using AT&T WorldNet Service.