nanog mailing list archives

Re: OUTAGE: MCI/Worldcom frame-relay network

From: Alan Hannan <alan () globalcenter net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:07:34 -0700

I'm confused by your message. Which is more questionable: The MarketWatch
story which was clearly inaccurate -- it didn't even mention impact to the
industry they report on (i.e., CBOT) -- or the messages Sean posted?  From
all appearances Sean's messages were timely, highly accurate, and very
informative. This is more than can be said of the news media coverage.

This is the second time I have witnessed you complaining about outage
information being posted and discussed in this forum. Why is information
sharing bad?

  I don't believe that information sharing is bad.

  I think it is good.

  I do not believe NANOG is appropriate for real time operational
  issues.

  That's all.

  -alan

  PS - sean's messages were not 'highly accurate' as they maintained
       that WCOM was not reporting on the problems, while they were.