nanog mailing list archives

Re: Large-datagram hop-by-hop delivery mechanism

From: "Edward S. Marshall" <emarshal () logic net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:13:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Mark R. Lindsey wrote:
I am seeking a mechanism for reliable delivery of large blobs through a
network of occasionally-connected hosts that can forward the blobs using
available transport protocols.

UUCP. It does exactly what you just described. If you want to run over an
existing IP network, use UUCP-over-TCP.

<DIV mode=digression>
You know, five years ago, we wouldn't have given a moment's thought to
this problem, since the solving technology was so blatantly obvious. Have
things really changed -that- much?
</DIV>

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal () logic net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]