nanog mailing list archives

Re: address spoofing

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:02:23 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Sunday, April 25, 1999 at 02:46:31 (-0500), Phil Howard wrote: ]
Subject: Re: address spoofing

At what point should we draw the line and say who can, and who cannot,
use RFC1918 addresses on links?  My first thought would be any link over
which traffic from more than one AS transits, or between AS's, should
always be fully routable.  Any better ideas?

I think the line's trivial to draw.  You can use RFC 1918 addresses on
any interfaces so long as the router can never generate a packet with
that address in it (either as a source address, or as part of the
protocol payload for something like "echo reply" which would confuse the
recipient).  I don't know if this is actually possible, but that's
irrelevant, of course!  ;-)

I.e. RFC1918 addressing for private links is fine so long as the outside
world will never see mention of those addresses.

I remember the first place I put up a firewall, I blocked pretty much
everything, include ping (from outside) and traceroute (from outside).
The reason was to conform to corporate policy regarding confidentiality
of facilities and resources to guard against competitors snooping around.
Even so much as seeing how many IPs would answer ping was considered to
be proprietary company information.  It was my goal to limit access to
just those resources required for the company's business.  I think I did
it pretty well.  I only got one complaint about it and that was from
Randy Bush.

:-)

I do see another possibility.  I would call these "public overload"
addresses.  By public, they would be allowed to transit as sources.
By overload, more than one use at a time could be made, although they
should be unique within an administrative scope much as RFC1918 is.
As to the impact that may cause on the net, I cannot say.  There could
very well be more impact than RFC1918 has, so it's probably it a good
idea.  I just see it as a possibility.

Hmmm... Yes.  I wonder if there's any way to prove that if such
addresses are used only as *source* addresses (and perhaps "echo reply"
values, etc.) that they'll never cause any packets to be generated in
response.  That way the overloading wouldn't cause as much of a problem.

I meant to mention last time that the use of a specific public block for
this purpose only is better than using RFC 1918 addresses because then
there's less confusion between internal management LANs and other truly
private uses.  If I use RFC 1918 addresses behind a firewall then I
cannot permit those packets on the public side.

Of course any overloading of a block of addresses means that you've got
to be particularly careful never to introduce routing in your "public"
infrastructure for the overloaded block -- I think that would be a clear
indication that you're using such addresses for the wrong purpose.

I haven't seen how to do it in the newest BIND.  I tried some tricks but
haven't managed to accomplish it.

I'm working on setting up a brand new set of systems for a client and
I'm going to try doing some split-brained DNS in production for them --
I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out and how I did it
if I'm successful.  Maybe something like this is worth writing a paper
or article about too, though I think I already have some references
squirrelled away somewhere.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>