nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

From: Rich Sena <ras () poppa clubrich tiac net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:10:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Christopher K. Phillips wrote:

I may be wrong but aren't the fees that Network Solutions is charging for
domain name registration "supposed" to cover the costs of providing WHOIS
service for those domains? Is this just another attempt to nickel and dime
everyone to death on some sort of new usage charge for WHOIS service?

Could be me - but it kind of sounded like they were blocking abusers -
like address harvesters - single sites with thousands of requests in a
short period of time - that can't trully be labled a bad thing now can it?

--
I am nothing if not net-Q! - ras () poppa clubrich tiac net