nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP address space management

From: Brandon Ross <bross () mindspring net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:30:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Brian Dickson wrote:

We are in need of a software package to manage our IP space.  We've looked at
several products on the market but haven't found anything that really suits
an ISP's needs very well.  Does anyone know of anything on the market that
works well?  It should understand CIDR and be hierarchical.

I guess the question would be, what is meant by hierarchical... do you mean
assigning sub-CIDR blocks to customers, and then managing customers' space
as well as your own?

Something like that.  We have a need to assign perhaps a large block to
web hosting, then out of that block assign smaller blocks to each server,
then yet a smaller block still to each customer, for example.

 CIDR and VLSM goes without saying...

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  info () mindspring com
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.