nanog mailing list archives

Re: SONET ring questions

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:45:36 -0700

At 10:34 PM 10/16/98 -0700, Alan Hannan wrote:

For total system uptime
90.0% (one nine or less) Desktop systems.
99.0% (two nines) Intermediate business systems
99.9% (three nines) Most business data systems and workgroup servers
99.99% (four nines) High-end business systems and your friendly
neighborhood telco
99.999% (five nines) Bank Data Centers and Telco Data Centers, some ISPs
99.9999% (six nines) Only God and Norad live here.
99.99999% (seven nines) Even God doesn't have pockets this deep.

 What's your source for this data?

You mean, besides 22 years in the system design and development trade?
Well, you can start with the various companies I have worked for. Then the
manufacturing specs on the various systems. My last analysis involved
two-headed server setup on HP 9000 series T520 with MC service guard and
shared RAID5. HP guarantees that at three nines. With the right add-ons I
got it to four nines (Complete second site in AZ, 1500 miles away). Very
expensive. Five nines would have broken the budget, that was Wells Fargo.

Northrup/Grumman MD-18 flight-line support.

The PacBell broadband system was quad redundant data centers in Fairfield
and San Diego. I was hired in as the Techinical Architect for that system.
Again, HP equipment. That system would have hit five nines, or better, in
production. I think we were pushing past $16M on that system, thirty-six
specially configured T520's plus RAID packs.

Various systems I worked on in Patrice Carrol's org in MCI COS (Garden of
the Gods facility), including the Fraud Management System.

This stuff is more art than science, too many non-deterministic variables.
Experience is the only thing that counts. It tells you which formulaii to
use and when they have a chance of working.

I should have my web-site up again this week-end, we're converting to
FastTrack with LiveWire, in addition to Apache-SSL/mod_perl.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.