nanog mailing list archives

RE: Discussion point: Telco quality?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:37:15 -0700

At 10:01 AM 10/9/98 -0400, Paul Ferguson wrote:
At 09:46 AM 10/9/98 -0400, Bill St. Arnaud wrote:

Define "reliable".

Good point.  Many carriers and telco manufacturers are coming to the
Internet business saying that we have the knowledge and expertise to build
99.99999+ reliable networks - therefore eventually we are going to take over
the business.  Reliable is easy to define in terms of voice calls.  But it
has whole different set of meanings in the IP world, which most carriers and
telco manufacturers fail to understand.  For example I can have a 99.9999+
SONET network, but if I can't access my DNS root server, then I clearly
don't have a reliable network.

Bingo.

Yes, the answer is to run your own root-server, a la GRS.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.