nanog mailing list archives

Re: 2U chassis (was Linux Router Kit)

From: Geoff White <geoffw () precipice v-site net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:21:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Adam Rothschild wrote:

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Geoff White wrote:

We are trying to roll our own server/router/accounting box and
have everything speced out but the chassis, we need to find a PC rack
mount chassis that is no higher than 2U ( 3.5"). The co-los we use charge
us not only by bandwidth but by real estate, we need to cram as many boxes
as we can in the space. In fact if you know of a 1U (like the cobalt
boxes) that would be even better. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Whoa, that would be awfully tight.   If I were you, I would
simply pay for extra rack space, and get an Appro (www.appro.com) NITEO or
42xx...

If I use a mother board that has Ultra2 scsi and 10/100 all on board I
don't need anything else, theese are servers, I don't need sound cards,
framebuffers, or anything else, just space for two 4 Gig disks

The units that mention 5 slot passive backplanes... can I still put an ATX
formfactor motherboard in the bottom?