nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI policy on lame delagations

From: Mike Leber <mleber () he net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 05:24:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Randy Bush wrote:
if they intend to serve those clients, as opposed to pretending to do so,
then they should load thier servers when they are pretending to do so.

So you are recommending that if they take 300 new accounts in a day they
should reload their nameservers 300 times that day?

Remember these aren't nameservers that serve 5 domains, figure tens of
thousands. Perhaps I am not being clear.  Reloads, even a HUP, cause
named, even the new version, to pause for a while before being able to
serve requests again. All the relevant nameservers for the domains would
have to be reloaded 300 times a day in this case.  It isn't good if named
stops responding that often because it slows access to the web sites
domains by inserting a dropped DNS query timeout every time the reloading
server is queried (50% or 33% depending on 2 or 3 nameservers.  If the
reload takes 30 seconds then reloading 300 times == each nameserver is
down for 150 minutes a day.  Not good.

Just so the nameservers aren't lame for even a moment?

Doesn't being down 150 minutes a day make a nameserver atleast as bad as
being lame for a single domain?

Or do you suggest delaying client domain name registrations 24 hours?

Customers aren't being unreasonable when they want timely registration...
Anybody who has missed getting a specific domain name by a day can
appreciate this.  I've seen it happen many times.

Explain to me the pretending part.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric      Web Hosting & Co-location        Fax 408 971 3340 |
| mleber () he net                                           http://www.he.net |