nanog mailing list archives

RE: ingress filtering

From: jeyers () ialn com
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:57:06 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Germann [mailto:ekgermann () cctec com]
Sent: Friday, May 29, 1998 8:09 AM
To: John Fraizer
Cc: Mr. Dana Hudes; nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: ingress filtering

At 02:32 PM 5/28/98 -0400, John Fraizer wrote:

Actually it has nothing to do with WINS.  If all the ISP's would
implement

Bzzt.  Thank you for playing, though.  If it were not for WinS, there
wouldn't
be a second packet being sent, no matter what junk is the payload.

solid in-addr.arpa reverse mappings, this would go away.  Microsoft's
DNS
resolver has been extended, when DNS lookups fail, to do a reverse
NETBIOS
query against the target machine so it can use its name when displaying
stuff via NBTSTAT, etc.  It was designed this way, before the Internet
became popular.

Excuse me?  I was using the Internet way before Microshaft was a dream
in Bill's
head.  The RFC's you quote were rammed into existance by DARPA to
provide early
ecanpsulation techniques so that companies like MS could say they were
IP/Internet
compatible, (instead of using a real protocol) and get away from Novel
slamming
them for non-routable protocol support only.  All they did was to take
the same
non-routable junk and throw it inside an ip packet and call it
"internet"
compatible.  The RFC's quoted provide a way to make that encapsulation
work, they
do not recommend conversion to that as a standard.  To encourage that
kind of
conversion would be a major leap backwards.  (Wow! let's all abandon our
routeable
protocols and use a non-routed local segment only, encapsulated
protocol.  Yippee!)

Now I agree ISP's should do better DNS resolution, but every MS box
plugged into
the net sending a second packet adds up to a lot of junk packets eating
up
expensive bandwidth.  MS catches the blunt of the critisizm because they
are the
only ones to have adopted such a lame networking scheme, and then forced
it
down others quotes.

Before we all rant at MS, I suggest we all read RFC's 1001 and 1002 and
UNDERSTAND NetBIOS over IP, before we blame ALL the worlds ills on MS.
Last I knew, they weren't written by MS.

RFC 1001-> http://answerpointe.cctec.com/notes/rfcs1/254e_1e2.htm

RFC 1002-> http://answerpointe.cctec.com/notes/rfcs1/2e46_1e2.htm

Author(s): Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, End-to-End
Services
Task Force, Internet Activities Board, NetBIOS Working Group

-------
John Fraizer    (root)          |    __   _                 |
The System Administrator        |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The
choice
mailto:root () EnterZone Net       |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a
GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/       | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ |
Generation
                    A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...

======
Eric Germann                         Computer and Communications
Technologies
ekgermann () cctec com                                        Van Wert, OH
45891
                                                         Phone: 419
968 2640

http://www.cctec.com                                        Fax: 419
968 2641
Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider