nanog mailing list archives

Re: PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

From: Darrell Fuhriman <darrell () grumblesmurf net>
Date: 28 May 1998 11:35:02 -0700

Michael Dillon <michael () memra com> writes:

I don't think so. They even said in their article that the technical
details are based upon this URL
http://www.sns-access.com/%7Enetpro/maxmtu.htm
and this guy says stuff like:

    And, it turns out, depending on how your ISP and other routers
    encountered on the Internet handle your TCP/IP requests, that a MaxMTU
    setting of 576, often referred to as the "Internet Standard", will in
    many cases avoid the fragmentation of packets of data and the slow
    transfer speeds which result.

He used to be one of my users, at two different ISPs, in fact.  I
had a long drawn out disagreement about how this was wrong, and
mathematically didn't make any sense.

However, lots of people have confirmed that it really does
help... which leads me to accept Karl's explanation.

We shouldn't expect anymore from microsoft, really.

Darrell