nanog mailing list archives

Re: 1.1.1.0/24

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 20:02:25 -0400

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 05:26:10PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
One item that is currently before the ARIN Advisory Council is a
suggestion that we publish a map of all currently allocated IP space and
keep that map up to date. If we do this then I think it solves this
problem if people keep verifying their filters against the map or if they
generate their filters based on the map.

You mean like
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/ipv4-address-space

No, actually, he doesn't (probably) mean exactly that... the concept is
good, but tghe granularity too coarse.  Excellent resource for
historical research, though; thanks for the pointer.  (And why,
exactly, does DISA need _6_ Class A's?  :-)

One which may be usefull is registering the 'unassigned' IANA blocks
in the IRR with a special AS number (e.g. AS0 or AS65535) so people can
use the RtConfig tools to create filters by exception (e.g. NOT AS0)
But there is already so much junk like 0.0.0.0/1 in there already, I
hesitate doing it.

I'm not enough of a BGPgeek to know for sure, but that sounds like an
excellent idea to me, and 0 is the one I'd pick, I think.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com