nanog mailing list archives

Re: So... what's the best routing solution for..

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:07:17 -0700

At 09:44 PM 6/10/98 -0400, Jon Zeeff wrote:

... a small operation with a few computers (maybe three or four servers
plus a handful of other computers)...

... that is not multihomed, and in fact will just be running an Ethernet
link down to the ISP downstairs...

...that is too small to get an ASN and therefore can't do BGP...

Do I go with gated or something similar, or try to pick up a cheap used
router... because I am going to be in this situation within the next
couple months.

Suggestions?

Don't use any routing protocol at all.  Actually, skip having your
own router too.

Agreed, we ran default static routes for a long time. Y'all don't even need
a router. I might recommend a LinkSys 2-port ethernet switch, though.
(Control collision domains, See DataComm Warehouse.).
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill,
CA
Domain Administrator
MHSC2-DOM and MHSC3-DOM
Administrative and Technical contact
InterNIC Id: MHSC hostmaster (HM239-ORG)
e-mail: <mailto:hostmaster () mhsc com>mailto:hostmaster () mhsc com
web -pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/>http://www.mhsc.com/