nanog mailing list archives

Re: $110,000 for Gated Source Code

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:54:47 -0700

At 01:35 AM 6/8/98 +0000, brad wrote:
So far, I've had a large number of questions about a statement I made here
in NANOG. The statement was made in passing, while I was looking for
sources for something that would run BGP4 and allow us to transition from
static single-homing to dynamic multi-homing. Rather than answer, yet many
more inquiries, I am posting the answer here in NANOG, to fore-stall
further such inquiries.

MHSC prefers open-source whenever we can get it and prefer to run
reference-standard code. This is why we run sendmail v8.8.8, qpopper, BIND,
and others.

I see no need for open source when it is quite obvious you do not
understand anything that you are compiling.

Before inserting your foot further into your insulting mouth, visit my
personal web-site. We also have a couple of PhD CS's around here somewhere,
oh yeah, they're working on paid-for commercial projects. How much money
have you stolen from the NSF to-date?

We are a Caldera VAR and our servers are built up from Caldera
Open Linux Standard edition, with about 30 add-ons <groan>. We *do* have
BRU, Netscape, and other commercial binaries that have been bought, but not
before attempting to find acceptable reference-standards. We have also
provided DewPoint/Caldera with input towards an Enterprise Server
distribution for Linux.

Linux.. the choice of a gnutered generation.

Bigotry and snobry, a sure sign of insecurity and penus envy. What's the
matter, didn't get laid last week-end?

Anyway, we've applied for an ASN and ran into the BGP4 requirement. Ergo,
we were looking for the reference-standard BGP4 implementation, which is
GateD. We (I) was *very* surprised at the attitude exhibited at
<http://www.gated.org>. Very much anti-commercial. But, that does not
matter to me as I have $other$ things to worry about (Paying the rent
around here is one of them <sigh>). Ergo, having run *that* trail to
ground, I posted a query here in NANOG, that Dean Anderson, Shane Wright,
Craig Labovit, and others have answered.

Well, you can probably write your own BGP implementation in about
a month.  This would cost you considerably less than $110k assuming
a conservative valuation of your time ($4.25-$5.00/hr).

Buddy boy, you can't afford me <sheesh>!

I now have gated v3.5.9, for Linux, and am building it now. I'll probably
run into trouble, as I do with most things that don't have a configure
script, or have an otherwise non-standard build process (Why is it that
*only* the academic originated stuff is such a PITA? <sigh>).

LINUX#make
sh: make: command not found
LINUX#Ihatethesefuckingcomputersasdf3252r23t2g
sh: Ihatethesefuckingcomputersasdf3252r23t2g: command not found
LINUX#goddamn these academic types
etc..

Jeez, you can't even spell "damned" right. Also, in that context God is
capitalized.

Now, if Bradly wants to really play with something easy, install
Apache-SSL.mod-perl on a Linux box. Or anything else with a configure script.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!