nanog mailing list archives

Re: PROPOSAL #2 - reform of the fee schedule (fwd)

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () shell nacs net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 23:52:29 -0400

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 07:27:39PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

Therefore, I argue that the fees should be *proportionate* to the existing
space.

A good idea.

While working fulltime for NACS.NET (I don't any longer), a few months
ago, I checked out ARIN's site to find out how much a /19 would be, because
NACS is going to need some more IP's soon.

The price was, ahhhh, shall we say, a little high :)

This is *FAIR*.  We're now charging for the amount of verification work to
be performed and EVERY allocation is treated equally.

Now the reality is that this will put us WAY over budget.  This is GOOD.
What we need to do then is cut the base membership fee to something that
ordinary people can afford - $50/year.

Um, yeah.

The stakeholders should have a say in this, and the stakeholders, folks, are
the average users.

Um, yeah. :)

Would someone please tell me why this isn't a more proper fee strategy?

[wisecracks withheld] ;)

Karl, I think that makes a lot more sense than the justification I got
over the phone from one of the people at ARIN... "we're not government-
subsidized any more" -- which may be TRUE, but it's not justification for
the fees they're asking for.

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,