nanog mailing list archives

Re: Filtering Unregistered Blocks (WAS: small vent)

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 06:58:19 -0700 (PDT)

At 12:45 PM 6/28/98 PDT, Dave Rand wrote:

This has, in fact, happened before.  One of the reasons that the unallocated
spaces are listed on the RBL.

This topic comes up every now and then.  I've searched the ARIN site and
found some very outdated lists (some as old as 1996, but none newer than
Feb, 1998).  I've searched the archives, but no one seems to have an answer
- except you.  How do you tell what is and what is not allocated?

        Well, there is the problem of where to look.  There is a pretty
        comprehensive list of the delegation status of blocks at the
        /8 level that is pretty accurate.  I suspect that the RIRs can
        provide pretty good detail for the recent (1996 and later) delegations.

        The historical delegations are -much- harder to track.  I've been
        spending some time on clearing up detail on older /8 blocks
        and this data may make it into the publicly visable registries
        if they want it.  128.0.0.0/8 is done and I've got most of
        192.0.0.0/8 complete.

-- bill