nanog mailing list archives

Traffic shaping on a BGP session

From: "Pascal Petit - SYNET" <ppetit () synet fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:03:32 +0100

2 routers from 2 different AS are connected through 2 ATM virtual
circuits.

                  |  AS1717  |            ----------C1---------
  |  AS5511 |
 INTERNAL |       R1     | ---------|
|----------|     R2      | EXTERNAL
                                               -----------C2----------

EBGP Peering is set between  AS 1717 and 5511.
We would like to do traffic shaping on the incoming trafic on the two
virtual circuits : All routes but a few shall be annouced via circuit 1;
the remaining routes shall be annouced via circuit 2.

We were planning on doing it via route-maps, however there is only one
BGP
peering between 1717 and 5511; another solution would be to set up a
static
route on R2 to reach the last route via C2.

The former solution would be better while communities could be used to
select the "remaining" routes.

Questions :
Is it possible to set up two BGP peerings between the same AS (i.e. two
BGP
sessions between 1717 and 5511) ?
Can one think of any better solution ?

Thank you for your help.

Pascal Petit
SYNET                                          tel:        33 1 4696 0040
74, rue Roque de Fillol                    fax:       33 1 4696 0041
92800 Puteaux                               email:    ppetit () synet fr
FRANCE                                         http://www.synet.fr