nanog mailing list archives

Re: Can you explain why paths to same host diverge?

From: John Hawkinson <jhawk () bbnplanet com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:02:42 -0500 (EST)

Current code from cisco in the branch supporting Cisco Express Forwarding
(CEF -- not publically available) that many NSPs are running has support
for multiple path selection based on a hash of the source and destination
address of a packet.

 When that code became available?

I believe sometime in March is being targetted. See your cisco representative
for details :-)

 Does anyone care to share experiences with that kind of load sharing in the
 real networks?

Well, we're using it in quite a few places and we're very happy with it.

If you read my e2e-i citation, you'd have noted that Curtis mentioned
that the T3 NSFnet NSSes did this and it was successful then...

--jhawk