nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smurfing

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 14:52 PST

 o All router administrators on the immediately reachable
   Internet needs to turn off directed broadcasts on their router
   interfaces.  It's conceivable that "a significant portion of
   all" would do as well, but the magnitude of this problem
   boggles the mind.  First of all, we'd need to distribute the
   appropriate amount of clue to all the corners of the net where
   this needs to happen.  Maybe, just maybe, we'll get there
   sometime (I'm an optimist!).

why should this not have become the default mode for all vendor diustributed
router code?

randy