nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU of the Internet?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:29:00 -0500

On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 09:24:25AM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
My multiplexing protocol would need a persistent TCP connection.  There
would be 254 different subchannels.  A byte code of 255 is a flag to the
multiplex control.  255,255 means a real 255 in the current subchannel.
255,0 means EOF in the current subchannel.  255,N means a switch to
subchannel N (1-254).  The sender can determine how many bytes can be
sent in one subchannel before switching to another.  If more features
might be required, such as per subchannel flow control, then more codes
could be reserved (it might be good to reserve all of 200-254 for now).
AFAIK, no valid HTTP would begin with a 255,1 so this multiplexing would
likely be detectable dynamically against HTTP.

Find a trained Apache module writer, and cut some code.  :-)

(PS: that wasn't a smarmy answer: I'd volunteer, but I am not one.
(And besides the browser would have to cooperate.))

Now, for one final comment before we rediect this thread tht eh HTTP-NG
group where it belongs now, make sure you extend the page language at
the same time, so as to allow priority tagging of inlines, so the
buttons can get sent _first_.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com