nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBN/GTEI

From: owen () DeLong SJ CA US (Owen DeLong)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:46:54 -0700

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:

In fact, what you're advocating is billing the sender for *solicited data*
from the recipient's point of view!

Not at all. I am advocating paying for transit.

On the contrary.

If I buy a DS1 for transit from your network, I'm expecting the person I pay
to provide transit - ALL OF THE TRANSIT.

Of course, and I agree with you 100%. But I was not talking about a
transit customer. I was talking about a peer whose traffic interchange is
asymmetric and who therefore uses some regional transit in the other guy's
network. I'm saying that instead of slamming the door in his face and
telling him to buy transit, we need to have a scalable peering option that
is a blend.

Ah, but you were talking about traffic from said content provider _TO_ a
transit customer, no?  The point here is that when I buy a T1 from provider A,
I expect him to get my traffic to/from the ENTIRE internet, not the Internet,
except those providers that choose not to purchase transit and are not
symmetrical in their traffic flows.

Maybe I am headed in the wrong direction with this but I do believe we
need a better solution for peering with asymmetric peers that reduces the
barriers to entry to $$$. Right now there are barriers to entry that
probably will not pass the scrutiny of the DOJ.

That may be.  However, the $$$ methods you are talking about are likely
to bill the wrong end of the connection.  You have repeatedly proposed
a solution which allows the customers of transit provider A who purchase
transit from transit provider A to write a blank check for provider B
to provider A to cover the costs of said transit customer receiving
content they request off of servers hosted by provider B.

Owen