nanog mailing list archives

Re: oh, for goodness' sake.

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:59:41 -0500

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 01:38:03PM -0700, J.D. Falk wrote:
On 04/07/98, Andrew Crawford <andrewc () nildram net> wrote:

   Domain Name: RIPE.NET
   Domain Status: On Hold    <<<<<<------

This is apparently causing some routing problems; many ISPs (especially in
Europe) build their BGP filters from the data at whois.ripe.net at regular
intervals. No whois.ripe.net = no routing policy data = screwed up BGP.

Perhaps there should be a list of "sacred" domains that should never be
suspended no matter *how* long they go without paying their fees. I wonder
what happened in this case?

      If the .NET TLD was still just for backbone infrastructure,
      it'd make sense to do that.  Perhaps RIPE qualifies for .INT?

      No matter what it is, I agree...services like RIPE are way
      too important to the everyday functioning of the Internet to
      be turned off because of some NSI policy change.

--
J.D. Falk                                                    <jdfalk () vix com>
Vixie Enterprises                                         http://www.vix.com/

So are forcing domain lookups for this kind of thing.

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin