nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two renumbering questions

From: Joe Provo - Network Architect <jprovo () ma ultranet com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:49:57 -0400 (EDT)

My ISP is changing upstreams for a variety of reasons around May 18th.

1.  I have a /24 SWIPed to me, 205.238.207.0.  The ARIN listing doesn't say
it's non-portable, so can I take it with me?
The ARIN db lost all portable/non-portable atributes in the conversion.
Unless folks have gone back and requested they get re-tagged,
portability is unclear from the ARIN db.

[snip]
rather than filtered for being too long?  It's right in the middle of the old
upstream's block 205.238.192/18.
If it is a singleton hole in a /18, your most net-friendly action would
be to voluntarily renumber.  The provider's most net-friendly action
would be to indicate it was non-portable.

[snip]
(There's other servers elsewhere that won't get renumbered.) If I tell the
Internic that ivan's host number has changed, will that update all the
domains served from it?
Yes, that's the purpose of the HST record.  Update the HST and you're
all set.

Joe
--
Joe Provo, Network Architect                         508.229.8400 x3006
Network Operations Center                            Fax   508.229.2375