nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Services

From: "The world ended an hour ago. Where were you?" <sjsobol () devel nacs net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:11:59 -0400

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 06:58:16PM +0800, David R. Conrad wrote:
Hi,

Wouldn't it make more sense if registry data was handled similar to DNS?

Right.  As I said previously, its just a small matter of programming (e.g.,
see rwhois).

There are a couple of issues, however:

a) if the registry database is used to provide contact information to help
resolve network problems (a stretch, I know :-)), and the only way you can
obtain the contact information is via the network, then if the network is
broken to the place you need to get to to find the contact information...
(yes, caching and seconarying can solve this issue)

b) quality assurance -- how much can you trust the people you delegate
authority to manage the data
(yes, strong QA control can solve this issue)?

My personal past experience has shown both of these to be a problem.

And they're a problem with the current WHOIS which is used for DNS
registrations, but we still use WHOIS to look up domain information. I say,
let's put the thing into place, because it IS a workable (if not perfect)
solution, and we can always make improvements.

--
   Steve Sobol, Tech Support Guru, NACS.NET  [http://www.nacs.net/support]

COOL SONG EXCERPT OF THE DAY:
Get tied, you're talking to a tourist/Whose every move's among the purest...
I get my kicks ABOVE the waistline, Sunshine!
                --Murray Head, "One Night in Bangkok"