nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Services

From: "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc () iMach com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:09:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Michael Dillon wrote:
I suppose that network problems never happen in the People's Republic of
China? And the Chinese network operators never need to consult
whois.arin.net to find contact info for the idiot North American network
operator who's asleep at the wheel with directed broadcast turned on?

The point I was trying to make was that if you HAVE to take something down
at ARIN, daylight hours for the americas is probably NOT the best time to
do it:
  On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
  > Yes, but since ARIN is the American Registry (the AR in ARIN), you can
  > probably do a pretty good job at guessing when the majority of the
  > users of the service will not be awake.           ^^^^^^^^^^

Now, I fully agree that the BEST solution to the problem is for it to be
available 24x7, as there are those of us which work from midnight-4 on a
regular basis.  (I myself have two waking schedules 9a - midnight or
noon-4a, depending on what needs to get done.)

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc () imach com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648